Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Stop and listen

Nov. 28 is the National Day of Listening.
I've been hearing about the StoryCorps project for a while on on NPR radio, so I decided to check out the sample list of questions.
The idea is that you sit down Friday with someone important in your life and record a conversation as you ask questions - any that you'd like to, or the Web site has an extensive list of sample questions at http://www.storycorps.net/record-your-story/question-generator/list
So, I thought it would be a neat idea for me to select some of the questions and give them to my family members and close friends, asking them to answer which every they'd like, since I'm not seeing many of them for the upoming holidays.
I thought it would be more evocative for them to handwrite the responses, and I'll compile them into a binder and give everyone a copy.
Here is a sample if you'd like to try something similar this Friday.
Happy listening!

Great questions for anyone
What was the happiest moment of your life? The saddest?
Who was the most important person in your life? Can you tell me about him or her?
Who has been the biggest influence on your life? What lessons did they teach you?
Who has been the kindest to you in your life?
What are the most important lessons you’ve learned in life?
What is your earliest memory?
Are there any words of wisdom you’d like to pass along to me?
What are you proudest of in your life?
When in life have you felt most alone?
How has your life been different than what you’d imagined?
How would you like to be remembered?
Do you have any regrets?
What does your future hold?
Is there anything that you’ve never told me but want to tell me now?
Is there something about me that you’ve always wanted to know but have never asked?

No comments: