Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Icy fingers no more

I was beginning a project — a bulky cap hat for my husband, when my mother asked me to make her some fingerless gloves. She’s a diabetic and suffers from cold extremities, so naturally I started her project forthwith.
I chose to make Fingerless Mitts, from a Farmhouse Yarns pattern by Ann Ameling.
I made a pair for myself last year that I’m still using now in Farmhouse Yarns’ Lumpy Bumpy Yarn by Charlene (99 percent Merino, 1 percent nylon).

It calls for bulky yarn and I found a Plymouth Yarn Yukon, which is 35 percent mohair, 35 percent wool and 30 percent acrylic, in pale pink. I am using size 10½ double-pointed needles. The gauge is 3 stitches per inch in stockinette stitch. I am making a size medium for my mother.
Cast on 24 (28, 32) stitches. Join in the round. Place marker for beginning of round. Work K1, P1 ribbing until 4 to 6 inches long. Thumb: Bind off 4 (5, 6) stitches. Continue working in pattern to the end of the round.
Next round: Cast on 1 stitch. Slip cast-on stitch to left needle, knit into front and back of stitch. *Slip last stitch just knit onto left-hand needle, knit into front and back of stitch. Repeat from * 2 (3, 4) times. Work ribbing until end of round.
Continue knitting in round in K1, P1 ribbing until work measures 2 to 4 inches from thumb opening.
Bind off, weave in ends.
Repeat for other mitt.
See www.farmhouseyarns.com and www.yarnandwool.com.

No comments: